Sunday, April 19, 2009

TSS - READ-A-THON wrapup


Boy, this was really a LOT of fun! I decided not to try to be a reader this year - I'm still pretty sure I can't stay up for 24 hours straight. I had the priviledge of being a cheerleader, and man, it was great.

I had no idea, going into it, how many people would be participating. I got to go to so many new, fun blogs - my subscription list grew and grew and grew! And it was a cool experience to see the book blogging community in action - so much encouragement, kind words, and caring attitudes at work. On one of the blogs I visited (sorry, I can't remember who! If it was you, let me know, and I'll link to you!), the blogger was commenting that really, this isn't that much different than a normal day for a reader - we all have spent days where we just get lost in a book. The difference is, for the past 24 hours, we were able to get lost with hundreds of other readers, all at the same time. That's a pretty great thing!

Huge, HUGE thanks go to the organizers of the Read-A-Thon - Trish, Nymeth, and Hannah, as well as Aerin, who did the huge job of making the feeds page. They did such a great job - it was really a wonderful day. Thanks, girl!

So now, I'm all excited for the next one - when is the next one again?? =)

16 comments:

Meghan said...

I was reading and I still managed to discover loads of new blogs! It was a great time. Thanks for cheering!!

Gavin said...

I agree, huge cheers to all the organizers! I'm going to read next time.

Wendy said...

As a reader in past Read-A-Thons I can say that The Cheerleaders are a HUGE and IMPORTANT part of this event. Congratulations on helping to make the Read-A-Thon such a success!

Elizabeth said...

Well, it was sure a lot of fun. I'm really glad I participated!

bermudaonion said...

That is too funny. When I tried to explain the read-a-thon to my husband, he said, "Isn't that what y'all do every day?"

Ashley said...

The organizers really made the day great - as did the cheerleaders! It was helpful to get advice and encouragement from people I didn't even know!

I already can't wait for the next one!

Anonymous said...

So true,this was such a community thing. It was fun to read together with people from different parts of the world. You did a great job.

Amanda said...

I had so much fun, thanks for all your comments!

serendipity_viv said...

I am amazed at how many people were reading at the same time yesterday. They all did so well. The organisers were fab.

Stephanie said...

Every read-a-thon that comes around has me working or doing mom-things! One of these days, I'll finally get my time to enjoy it.

I have no doubt I could actually make it the 24 hours. With the work schedule I have, I stay up 24 hours a lot!!

Cheering is the only thing I've been able to do so far, but it is actually ALMOST as much fun as reading for the challenge!

Teddyree said...

Huge CHEER for the Cheerleaders, it would be so much harder to get through without the comments of you wonderful, encouraging people!

Beth F said...

Wasn't it too much fun!!!

Serena said...

This was a fantastic time. I think it helped that I visited Anna and The Girl...I may have given up sooner. LOL

The next one is in Oct. I think.

Anna said...

Thanks for being a cheerleader! I didn't stay up for the full 24 hours reading, but it was fun to try.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog during the read-a-thon! Next time I would like to be a cheerleader too, you guys did such a great job! I loved reading but I also loved checking in on everyone else :)

Ana S. said...

Thank YOU! Like Wendy said, we'd be nothing without cheerleaders! I'm so glad to hear you had fun, Elizabeth! The next one's in October :)