Sunday, July 5, 2009

TSS - monthly wrap-up


It's official - 2009 is halfway done. I'm having a hard time believing it. I hope everyone's July 4th celebrations were a success, and you were able to spend time with the people you love.

Here's a look back at what I was reading this month:



Palace Circle by Rebecca Dean
- historical fiction about an American woman and her two daughters in England and Egypt before and during WWII. Rated 7/10. (My review of Palace Circle)

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
- excellent novel blending historical and modern-day mysteries about life in a polygamous society. Rated 9/10. (My review of The 19th Wife)

Where Am I Wearing by Kelsey Timmerman
- nonfiction about a man's travels around the world to find out who makes the clothes he wears. Rated 8/10. (My thoughts on Where Am I Wearing)

A Girl's Guide to Modern European Philosophy by Charlotte Grieg
- average chick-lit about a college student making difficult life decisions. Rated 6/10. (My review of A Girl's Guide...)

All Other Nights by Dara Horn - Excellent historical fiction with a unique perspective on the Civil War. Rated 8/10. (My review of All Other Nights)

Wings by Aprilynne Pike
- Fun YA novel about first love, and fairies. Rated 8/10. (My review of Wings)

Best Intentions by Emily Listfield - Chick lit/suspense/emotional drama about a woman discovering the truth about the relationships in her life. Rated 8/10. (My review of Best Intentions)

Cutting Loose by Nadine Dajani - breezy, fun, thoughtful chick lit about 3 women finding themselves in sunny Miami. Rated 8/10. (My review of Cutting Loose)

Skellig by David Almond - beautiful YA novel about a boy who finds a magical being in his rundown garage. Highly recommended. Rated 9/10. (review forthcoming)

Life's That Way by Jim Beaver - heartbreaking yet hopeful memoir about losing a spouse, and learning to keep on living. Highly recommended. Rated 10/10. (review forthcoming)

Crossed Wires by Rosy Thornton
- thoughtful women's fiction about two single parents in England who randomly connect, and form a meaningful relationship. Rated 7/10. (my review of Crossed Wires)

Sunnyside Blues by Mary Carter - A road-trip story, as well as an exploration of how secrets from the past can come back to haunt you. Interesting and entertaining. Rated 7/10. (my review of Sunnyside Blues)

The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer
- recommended by Aunt Irlowain, this is a medical thriller about illegal organ harvesting - yikes! Lots of fun. Rated 8/10. (my review of The Fifth Vial)

Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie
- beautifully written saga of the life of a Japanese woman affected by the US bombing of Nagasaki, and the people she loved over the years. Rated 8/10. (Review forthcoming)

The Magician's Book by Laura Miller - one woman's recollections of her love for the Chronicles of Narnia, as well as their history, and a bit of lit crit thrown in. Very interesting. Rated 7/10. (my thoughts on The Magician's Book)


I hope your month of reading was just as good as mine. On to July - what goodies will await me there??

6 comments:

Eva said...

Definitely looks like you had a good month! That Where I Am Wearing book sounds really interesting.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Lots of good reading for you. I'm interested in Burnt Shadows. I'm awaiting it from the library.

Monique said...

I brought The Fifth Vial with every intention to read it. But I haven't gotten to it yet.

Where Am I Wearing? also sound intriguing.

Good job in your reading for June.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

you've had a great first half of the year. Burnt Shadows was pretty good.

happy reading for the rest of 2009.

J.S. Peyton said...

You read some great books this month! I enjoyed The 19th Wife, and I REALLY want to read Skelling. I've heard entirely too many great things about it. Here's hoping your July reading goes just as well.

mar10123 said...

Started All Other Nights while traveling in the car this weekend. Good, good, good!