Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tube Talk with Amy and Elizabeth



Time for everyone's favorite ghost-hunting brothers - Amy and I's weekly conversation about Supernatural. We are just getting started with season 3, and they are not wasting any time! Amy has our discussions about episode 1, The Magnificent Seven, and episode 2, The Kids are Alright.

Episode 3 - Bad Day at Black Rock

Recap - Sam and Dean answer a call on their dad's old cell phone, alerting them someone has broken into John's secret storage room in New York. They discover a cursed rabbit's foot has been stolen and call Bobby ) for help. He advises them to beware of the foot because anyone who touches it will receive an extreme amount of good luck, but once the foot is lost that person will die. Unfortunately, Sam has already handled the foot, which causes an overjoyed Dean to buy lottery tickets, but a female thief steals it from Sam causing his luck to plummet and putting his life in danger.


Our discussion - as usual, Amy's thoughts are in red:


I seriously hate this Gordon guy!

Me too. A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G.

Did you find it as disturbing as I did to see the difference in the brothers memory items in the storage container? Sam had a soccer trophy, Dean had his first sawed-off shotgun - once again, we see Dean never got a real childhood.


The show has really good continuity with this issue. The contrast is drawn sharply and consistently again and again.

Did you suspect right away there was something not right about the rabbit's foot?

I figured it was important but had no idea.


Bad-luck Sam is hilarious - "I lost my shoe!"

This episode made me laugh so much especially with bad luck Sam. Like when they were running and he fell. Man, I'm laughing just thinking about it.


Why was Bella holding the rabbit's foot with tongs?

I think she didn't want to touch it.

Yeah, I get that now. Have I mentioned I'm a little slow to pick up on certain plot points sometimes?? =)

Bella's take on hunters was interesting - a bunch of revenge-seeking sociopaths, etc. There is actually some truth to that, don't you think?

Yes, definitely.

Good-luck Dean is also hilarious - "I'm amazing - I'm Batman."

:)

I have a feeling we'll see Bella again - she's too good to be just a one episode girl.


I think your hunch may be correct. (I think Amy's just saying this because she's already done with the whole dang season!!) She adds something new to the world, too, which is interesting.

I think I'm more creeped out by this new hunter after Sam - Scranton? - than I am by Gordon. His fanatic, "God led me to him" idealism is scary.

Doesn't this actor always play someone really creepy or evil?

If he doesn't he should - he's great at it!


Episode 4 - Sin City

Recap - Sam and Dean investigate a rash of violent deaths in Elizabethville, Ohio, a once-sleepy town that has been turned into a haven for gamblers and drinkers. Dean discovers demons have infiltrated Elizabethville and are using their powers of persuasion to make the townspeople succumb to their basic instincts. Meanwhile, Ruby helps Bobby rebuild the Colt from scratch and stuns him with some news.

Our discussion:

Richie is definitely a different kind of hunter - fun, not as serious. I wonder how his personality type got involved in the work?

Unfortunately I don't think we get to find out!

Right - he was a quick casualty.

We continue to learn more and more about demons - they really have an interesting mythology.

Yes. It's pretty interesting and twisted! :)


The demons have a god - Lucifer - who was banished for refusing to bow down to humans. Do you think he will come into play at some point?

AARGH I almost screamed when they changed the story from bowing down to God to bowing
down to humans!!! I mean I love humans, too, and I guess it makes sense in this very human-centric show for that to be the story, but it's so close to the Biblical account and yet...not. And yes I suspect he will as the show plants seeds and harvests them in the story later.


Well, I think you also have to rememer that that is the demon's version of the story - and we've seen demons twist things before. Maybe they've just twisted this, too.


Did you suspect the priest??

I thought it was strange when they saw him in the bar but I don't think I thought he was a demon!


When the demon asked Dean if he was scared to only have one year to live, he said no - do you think he was telling the truth?

Nope, I think Dean is scared. He always puts on a brave front and rarely reveals his true feelings.

The yellow-eyed demon - Azazel - planned to have Sam as his second in command. Many demons were ready to follow him. It sounds like maybe the hunters have a good reason to be after him?

Maybe, but it seems clear to me Sam's not interested in leading demons...at least yet.


I REALLY want to know what Ruby's story is - do you have any ideas? I can't figure out why she's helping the Winchesters.


I can't either and I don't even know if I trust her.






Season three is off to a running start - it's a short one, so there's no time to waste with fluff. I can only imagine what's going to happen next! If you love this show as much as we do, we'd love to hear your comments!!

No comments: