Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tube Talk with Amy and Elizabeth



Time to talk Supernatural! Amy and I are smack-dab in the middle of season 3, and things are getting good. Be sure to visit My Friend Amy, where Amy will have our discussion of episode 5, Bedtime Stories, and episode 6, Red Sky at Morning.


Episode 7 - Fresh Blood

Recap - Sam and Dean capture a female vampire named Lucy who claims to have no knowledge of how she became a vampire. The guys discover Dixon, a male vampire, is giving out blood to unsuspecting females in bars, offering it up as the "latest drug" and turning them all into vampires. Meanwhile, Gordon escapes from jail and goes after Sam. However, Dixon intercepts Gordon and turns him into a vampire, which makes Gordon more powerful than before and an even bigger threat to Sam.


Our discussion - as usual, Amy's words in are red:


Okay, Bella and Gordon working together is probably a bad sign for the Winchester boys.


I think so as I think one of the strengths (and weaknesses) of the Winchester boys is that they work together. I think it's better to work in pairs but not always possible.


You can make a vampire by putting some vampire blood drops in a drink?? Wow, that's some pretty serious biological warfare.

LOL.


Dean tells Bella he's going to kill her - do you think he's serious?


No.


I kinda think I might believe him. I think she's pushed him to the very limit, and there is nothing that makes him more mad than someone threatening Sam.


Is it wrong that when Gordon was trapped by the vampire, I was really rooting for the vampire? Did you feel sorry for him at all? I guess it was a pretty bad fate.


I do think that was an awful death. He spent his entire life fighting them after what happened to his sister. I just think it's a bit like being raped and then murdered. To be forced to become the thing you hate....ugh.


Yeah, I wanted him to be gone, but I didn't want him to have to suffer than horrible a fate.


I can see a definite change in Sam's attitude - he doesn't even hesitate in his pronouncement that they have to kill Gordon.


Sam saw and experienced some crazy stuff at the end of last season. If he had killed that guy (military guy, can't remember name) he wouldn't have died and Dean wouldn't have made a deal. I think that Sam doesn't see that mercy helps the people he loves or himself.


I think he has lost his innocence, which is heartbreaking.


When the vampire talks about not wanting to be alone, and feeling dead inside, you could tell that Dean knew just what he was talking about.


:( Poor Dean.


When Gordon went back to his friend and told him he had been turned, I had a feeling his friend wasn't going to last long.


His friend shouldn't have even let him talk! Vampires are not to be trusted!



Why did Gordon not even TRY to fight becoming a monster? It's like he embraced it.


I think Gordon was already a monster. =)


Hah.



Sam finally calls Dean out on how freaked out he is. No one knows Dean better than Sam, and he can see exactly what he's going through. He asks him to drop the show and be his brother again - and it looks like he gets through to Dean. Do you think Sam actually broke down Dean's wall? (also, that totally made me tear up.)



I think Sam will have to keep working at that wall. But I do think that Dean is starting to see how profoundly this will affect Sam as well.





Episode 8 - A Very Supernatural Christmas


Recap - It's Christmas time and Sam and Dean investigate a series of murders where the victims were pulled up through the chimney. Sam realizes they are dealing with a sort of Anti-Santa, a demon with roots in pagan lore. Dean wants to celebrate Christmas the old fashioned way as this is his last, but Sam refuses, not wanting to accept that Dean won't be around next year. Sam flashes back to a certain Christmas when he waited for his father to come home to give him a special gift.

Our discussion:


I LOVE Christmas episodes!!!

Me, too, and I was thrilled with this one! And so happy they did one.


Okay, that poor little boy will be traumatized forever seeing Santa get yanked back up the chimney.


LOL, did you watch the special features? I thought it was so Supernaturaly.


More flashbacks to the boys crappy childhood - their dad couldn't even show up for Christmas??


Love the flashbacks....geez that kid looks like Sam (mannerisms, etc.). I think the flashbacks give a lot of insight into the tight bond the brothers have.


I thought the same thing - they got great kids to play the boys when they were young. These flashbacks really show that the brothers honestly had no one to depend on but themselves.


The impromptu caroling was hilarious!


I LOVED it! And they didn't know the words...lol.


Dean wants to have Christmas so badly because its his last year - Sam can't have Christmas because he knows next Christmas Dean will be gone. (tear moment.) Why can the brothers only be honest with each other about how they feel when someone is going to die?


Hmmm. I think that's pretty true to life. Death brings everything into sharp perspective.


I thought the creepy, nice couple would be somehow slaves to the god, not BE the gods - that was a surprise!


Total surprise! And they were very creepy.


We finally get to see why Dean loves that necklace so much.

Yes, I loved that scene.


I love the Christmas tree decorated with car freshener trees. =)

Me, too!

I thought this was a very bittersweet episode - it had a basically happy ending, and yet knowing it would probably be the brothers' last Christmas together was sad, too.


Yes, very bittersweet and so perfect! But UGH on Sam's nail getting yanked out....that's one of my worst nightmares.....OUCH.

Yeah, of all the gross things we've seen so far in this series, that was definitely one of the worst!



That's all for this week - we'll have four more episodes to talk about next week. Supernatural fans, tell us what you think! We'd love to hear your comments.

No comments: