Saturday, July 4, 2009

Challenge update

Well, we're halfway through 2009 (and Poe is on hiatus until next week), so I thought it would be a good idea to see where I stand on the many and varied challenges I've signed myself up for - see which ones I'm doing well in, and which ones I need to get busy on. Here's how things stand:



Challenge: set a goal to read a certain number of books from your OWN bookshelves.

My efforts so far: I set my goal at 30, and I've only read 7! SEVEN!! I also put the stipulation that they had to be books I'd acquired before 2009, to work through some of the stuff that had been sitting here for a while, so that's part of the reason the number is so low. But, seriously, I need to get busy on this one.



Challenge: read a minimum of 9 books in 9 consecutive decades in '09

My efforts so far: I've read books from 4 of the 9 required decades, so I have 5 to go. Almost halfway, so pretty good job.








Challenge: experience 42 works of science fiction - books, movies, short stories, tv shows, etc.

My efforts so far: I have completed 28 of 42. Definitely over half, but this one only runs until December 3, so I've got some work to do.








Challenge: Read through the books on your shelves alphabetically.

My efforts so far: Nil. In my defense, the challenge is just brand new, so I haven't had a lot of time. Also, it's a perpetual challenge, so I don't have a time limit. However, this should help with challenge #1 above!





Challenge: Read a minimum of 9 books first published in 2009.

My efforts so far: I've read 16!! Woo Hoo!! I've officially completed the requirements for this challenge, but I'm going to continue keeping track so I can see how I end up at the end of the year.





Challenge: Read 10 books from 10 different countries. Also, I signed up for the film mini-challenge, which is to watch 10 movies from 10 different countries.

My efforts so far: I've read 6 books from 6 different countries, so over halfway done. I've watched 4 movies from 4 different countries. So basically, halfway done. That's pretty good, I think.






Challenge: Read a set number of books by new-to-me authors.

My efforts so far: I set my goal at 50 new authors, and right now I'm at 41!! That's great! I have no doubt I'll reach and exceed this goal.







Challenge: Read 5 books that were recommended by another book blogger.

My efforts so far: I've read 3 out of 5. Pretty good! I have a list of 10, and will probably get most of them read before the end of the year.









Challenge: Complete 10 tasks all related to random reading.

My efforts so far: I've basically come up with my list, but haven't read anything yet. This is another brand new challenge, so I'm not too worried.






Challenge: Read 12 books you deem "dangerous" - your definition of dangerous can be just about anything.

My efforts so far: Yikes! I've only read 2! I really need to get my butt in gear on this one.









Challenge: Read 5 books from 5 different book award categories.

My efforts so far: I've only read 1, but this is a brand new challenge, so I'm happy with that.







I also have 3 personal perpetual challenges running - I'm reading through the poetry of the US Poet Laureates (but not reviewing them - I have no idea how to review poetry), I'm reading through the Newberry Winner and Notable lists, and I'm reading through the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels list. I'm just picking away at those slowly - no rush, I have lots of time.

So, all in all, I think I'm doing alright. I was afraid I'd bit off a little more than I could chew with all these challenges, but so far they've been a lot of fun, and have done a good job of focusing my reading on something other than the newest, most popular books on the shelves. One of the main reasons I started a book blog was to be able to participate in these challenges, and they have been just as cool as I anticipated they would be!!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, that's a lot of challenges. I think you're doing great - keep up the good work.

Jenners said...

There are some neat challenges there! I think I might try some of them next year ... and I realize some of them I've done without trying! : )