Friday, July 17, 2009

451 Fridays

451 Fridays is based on an idea from Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. In his novel, a group of people (Bradbury calls them Book People) are trying to keep the ideas found in books alive. Instead of actually saving the books, the Book People each "become" a book - memorizing it, word for word, and passing it down to the next generation.

451 Fridays asks what books you feel passionate about. What book do you think is so important that you would be willing to take on the challenge of "becoming"?


Today, I am happy to welcome Michele to 451 Fridays. I think Michele is one of the funniest ladies in the blogosphere - she has a great, snarky sense of humor that makes her reviews such fun to read. She also has a feature called "Diversifying my Bookshelves", where she highlights some of the most outlandishly titled books I've ever seen. She blogs at A Reader's Respite - if you are not reading her, you should be! Welcome, Michele!

What 5 books do you believe are important enough to be saved?

1. Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell


"Dear Scarlett! You aren't helpless. Anyone as selfish and determined as you are is never helpless. God help the Yankees if they should get you." - Rhett Butler


2. The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck

Fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.

3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams


Arthur looked up. "Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."


4. Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray


Revenge may be wicked, but it’s natural.


5. Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

"Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again."
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."


And now, for the I'd be willing to BECOME. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. The first book of the series, but really, I'd be willing to become any of the books in the series in order to preserve them. Quotes?

"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them."

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." - Albus Dumbledore



Michele, thank you so much for taking the time to share with us YOUR list of books which must be saved! I'm actively looking for more participants for 451 Fridays - if you are interested, please let me know!

8 comments:

Beth F said...

I know that Michele and I have a lot in common in terms of books (just don't mention THE LUXE), and I agree with all 6 books she mentioned! In fact I think I listed LOTR too!

Excellent choices.

And in case I haven't said it recently, I love this feature.

bermudaonion said...

I knew that Michele's post would be great fun. I love her blog and the choices she made for 451 Fridays!

Kristen M. said...

In this imaginary book-burning future, I would probably avoid the morose person who became The Grapes of Wrath but would hang out with the people who became the rest of these books ... especially the one who is The Hitchhiker's Guide. I think we could have some fun! Good list, Michele.

Jenners said...

I love Michele's blog -- so so funny and with such a great sense of humor. Her post is just what I would hope for and expect! And great great choices! For once, I've read 4 out of 5! Woo hoo!

mar10123 said...

True confession - I never got through Vanity Fair when I was supposed to read it in college. Faked my way through the test (although not very well . . .). I still have vague feelings of wearinees when I think of it - 'though perhaps that is because I was attempting to read it at 2:00 a.m.

The Great Catsby said...

Great list honestly one of my favorites. Glad to see Gone with the Wind...and of course HARRY POTTER!!

Aarti said...

Great list- humor is important in life :-)

Serena said...

I love this list...fantastic.