Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tube Talk with Amy and Elizabeth


Supernatural time again! Amy and I are in the middle of season three, and things are getting intense. Stop by My Friend Amy today, where Amy will be hosting our discussion of episode 9, Malleus Maleficarum, and episode 10, Dream a Little Dream of Me.


Episode 11 - Mystery Spot

Recap - Sam and Dean investigate the disappearance of a man who went missing at a tourist location. While searching the site, Dean is shot and killed (!!!) by the owner. Sam is devastated, but stunned when he wakes up the next morning to find Dean alive and well. As the day unfolds, Sam realizes he is re-living the previous day and tried to prevent Dean's death, to no avail. Dean dies again and Sam must learn to live life without his brother by his side.

Our discussion - as usual, Amy's words are in red:



HAH! Dean singing along to "Heat of the Moment" - hilarious!!

I know, lol!

Holy crap! Dean got shot in the chest!!

That was a shock. But we knew it couldn't stick...

Uh-oh - it looks like a Groundhog Day-type episode.

Actually loved it.

Me too - I thought this was a great episode!


Okay, this is awful - no matter what Sam does, Dean ends up dying. It's what Sam has been worrying about for months, all packed into one horrible nightmare.

So true. The deaths got kind of funny...like the dog?

Yeah, and choking on the sausage. =)

I KNEW that trickster was going to come back to mess with them again!

You're so smart!! And he's so evil!

I don't know that it counts as smart. Basically, I just assume that anyone/thing that isn't actually dead will be back at some point to mess with them..

OMG, is Dean actually dead??? They can't just kill him off like that.


What a senseless death.


Okay, Sam pulling the bullet out of his own chest was pretty nasty.

Sam's a tough guy now.

Yeah - I don't like it.

Watching Sam become so isolated and hard was extremely sad. He was willing to kill someone to get Dean back, but he flinched at killing Bobby - I was so happy that there was a little bit of humanity still in there.

Indeed. Six months is a long time don't you think? I was wondering if Sam actually felt like six months went by...it would be hard to go back to normal.

It certainly would.

The trickster tells Sam that the obsession the two have with sacrificing themselves for each other is bad for each of them - they have to stop, because it's their weakness, and the bad guys know it. Do you think Sam will actually take any of what the trickster says to heart?

I hope so. I mean there are only two of them....how long can they keep sacrificing themselves for each other?

I liked this Sam centric episode quite a bit!

Me too - it was nice to focus on Sam for a while.


Episode 12 - Jus in Bello

Recap - Sam and Dean break into Bella's apartment to get the Colt back, but she has tipped off Agent Hendriksen about their whereabouts and they are arrested. While Sam and Dean are locked in a cell in Colorado, a demon breaks in and kills some of the sheriff's men and possesses Hendriksen. After the guys vanquish the demon, the FBI agent realizes they were telling the truth and prepares to release them, but Ruby shows up to warn Sam and Dean that the jailhouse is surrounded by a band of demons with a powerful new leader who wants Sam dead.

Our discussion:


Oh, Bella, this is pretty bad. I'm starting to rethink my affection for her.

She makes an interesting character but I don't particularly like her.

I think I'm always drawn a bit to the "anti-hero" type, which is why I have some fondness for her. However, not after this one.

Do you think it bothers the brothers that so many people consider them to be evil - even more evil than the things they are hunting?

I suppose they just add being misunderstood to the many crimes against them!

Did you suspect right away that the new FBI guy was possessed?

Um, no, I don't think so.


I'm not a fan of Agent Hendrickson, but he was certainly good in a crisis.

True that.

I love that Dean can still look on the bright side - "It's like they're coming right for us. Do you think it's because we're so awesome? I think it's because we're so awesome."

I LOVED that. :)


Best line of the episode -
Hendrickson: "I shot the sherrif."
Dean: "But you didn't shoot the deputy."


So now Hendrickson believes in demons - do you think he'll stop trying to arrest the Winchesters?

I think so. He knows what's been going on for real now.


Oh, I hate Dean running around outside by himself with the demon apocalypse coming.

I know!!!

Haven't we talked about their lack of knowledge of the buddy system before??

That cloud of demons was hands down the scariest thing I've seen on this show so far.

Very scary and very daunting.

I almost think Hendrickson might start helping the brothers.

In many ways he is already a hunter...just of bad men not demons. So that would make sense.

I've never thought of him like that, but you're totally right.

Ruby is willing to kill herself to save Sam? Boy, I really need to hear her backstory!

She really must believe in Sam or at least wants them to believe she does.

But why? It can't just be because she hates Lilith. I want a Ruby episode!

I HATE Dean's plan! And seriously, how brave was Nancy to be willing to sacrifice herself?

Nancy was very very very brave.

Did you know that the one who got away would come back to hurt them so soon?

NO!

Lilith is a little girl?? Okay, that's the creepiest kid yet.

Lilith is very creepy. And what's up with the white eyes?

I know - does that mean she's some kind of super demon? I hate her.

I think Sam and Dean are still too human to fight this battle.

Yes yes yes.






If you enjoy Supernatural as much as we do, we'd love to hear your comments!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Supernatural is great--Lilith was the creepiest little girl ever!!