Sunday, December 6, 2009

Challenges failed

I'm going to have several challenge-related posts coming up, so I thought I would get the bad one done first - I am officially declaring myself failed on the following challenges:




Read Your Own Books Challenge

My challenge was to read 30 books from my own shelves that I had obtained before 2009 - I read a paltry 7. Here's my list:

1 - Tiger, Tiger by Galaxy Craze

2 - People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

3 - The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

4 - 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

5 - Incantation by Alice Hoffman

6 - Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

7 - The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff



Sad, sad, sad. I definitely need to try something like this again for 2010.




My Year of Reading Dangerously 2009

My challenge was to read 12 books that I deemed "dangerous" -
I managed 6. Not bad, and I feel good about the variety of books I read for this challenge - here's my list:

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - banned book (finished 2/27/09, rated 8/10)
Incantation by Alice Hoffman - magical realism (finished 4/20/09, rated 8/10)
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons - graphic novel (finished 9/7/09, rated 8/10)
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed by Marc Blatte - noir (finished 9/19/09, rated 7/10)
On the Road by Jack Kerouac - beat, spontaneous prose (finished 10/09, rated 5/10)
Sweet Utopia by Sharon Valencik - vegan cookbook (finished 11/09)


For this challenge I picked 1 banned book, and 5 books in genres that were either new to me, or that I find intimidating - I think they all fit the spirit of the challenge well. I don't know if Andi will be hosting this again for 2010, but I would give it another try if she does.




Take a Change Challenge

My challenge was to complete 10 tasks that would encourage me to read outside my comfort zone. Sadly, I only completed 5. Here's my list:

Book/Movie Comparison - Somewhere in Time

Random Book - Liars and Saints
Poetic Review - Bird in Hand
Lit Riff - Living on a Prayer
Random Word - Regular Guy


Even though I didn't finish, I thought this was a great challenge. I have heard rumors that Jenners will be hosting this again next year, and I am ready to sign up again!


Unfortunately, there might be a couple more challenges I don't finish before the end of the year, but we'll deal with those when the end comes. Now, on to the good stuff!!

No comments: