Sunday, December 6, 2009

New Challenge - 451 Challenge


It was inevitable - I am hosting my first challenge!!!

*cue fanfare*

Now, I haven't talked about this on Twitter, or Ning, or any of the other places bloggers gather, so it's quite possible I might be the ONLY participant, but that's okay with me. I really want to read some of the fabulous books on our 451 Fridays list, so I decided to go ahead and create a challenge for it! Here are the details:

Between January 1, 2010 and November 30, 2010, participants are challenged to read books on the 451 master list. There will be several levels of participation:

Spark - read 1-2 books from the master list
Ember - read 3-4 books from the master list
Flame - read 5-6 books from the master list
Blaze - read 7 or more books from the master list

Re-reading is acceptable, as are crossovers with other challenges. Audio, print, and e-books are all acceptable. Each month, participants will be encouraged to post their reviews on the challenge blog, and each review posted will be an entry into a grand prize drawing for a $25 gift card to the online bookseller of the winner's choice.

If you are interested, you can sign up on the dedicated blog for the challenge. I'm still working on compiling the master list, but there is a pretty good selection of books already there, and of course each week that we have 451 Fridays, there will be more goodies to add.

I'm going to try for Blaze - 7 or more books. Here's my tentative list:

1 - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
2 - In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden
3 - Going After Cacciato - Tim O'Brien
4 - The Love of a Good Woman - Alice Munro
5 - To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6 - The Blindfold - Siri Hustvedt
7 - St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves - Karen Russell
8 - A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens


Since this is my first time hosting, I'm open to ideas - if I'm forgetting something, or if you think of something that will make this challenge better, I'd love to hear it. I hope you will consider joining - I think it will be great fun!

No comments: