Sunday, August 16, 2009

TSS - Review - Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy



Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy
published 6/03
272 pages

Synopsis from publisher:

Set in California, Liars and Saints follows four generations of the Catholic Santerre family from World War II to the present, as they navigate a succession of life-altering events -- through the submerged emotion of the fifties, the recklessness and excess of the sixties and seventies, and the reckonings of the eighties and nineties. In a family driven by jealousy and propriety as much as by love, an unspoken tradition of deceit is passed from generation to generation, and fiercely protected secrets gradually drive the Santerres apart. When tragedy shatters their precarious domestic lives, it takes astonishing courage and compassion to bring them back together.

My thoughts:

This was my Random Book selection for Jenners' Take a Change Challenge. It was not, unfortunately, a big hit for me.

The novel had a feeling of detachment, which I can only assume was purposeful on the author's part, but it really kept me from feeling any sort of concern for any of the characters. Additionally, I didn't really like any of them - they just seemed spoiled and whiny. And there was a specific storyline that I really didn't care for that wrapped up the novel, making me anxious to be done.

I don't think it was horrible - I could appreciate that it was well written, and there were moments that were funny and heartwarming. But overall, it is not a novel I would recommend, or an author I would look for in the future. Perhaps the biggest problem was that it was the first book I read after The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I loved - it probably never really had a chance.

Finished: 8/13/09
Source: Franklin Avenue Libary
Rating: 5/10

This book counts toward:

6 comments:

Table Talk said...

Would anything stand a chance after 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society'?

Alyce said...

It's so hard to find great books just by random, but it is fun to try. :) I haven't had much luck with the Take a Chance challenge books yet, but I like the idea of branching out.

bermudaonion said...

Sorry this didn't work for you. The cover's great, though.

Leslie said...

Just found you through Semicolon. My book club is going to read The Guernsey book in Oct. so you have made me really look forward to that.

I love the cover of this book, too! The cover alone would make me pick it up...but I think I'll pass after your review.

Zibilee said...

I'm sorry that you didn't like this one. I don't think I would really like to read a book filled with a bunch of whiny characters, so I would probably not like this one as well. Hope your next book is better.

Jenners said...

Well, I guess not every book can be a winner -- and it is tough to follow a book that you loved. (I really have to read that Potato Peel book ... everyone just raves about it).