Sunday, August 2, 2009

TSS - Monthly wrap-up


By now I should be back in Iowa, although quite possibly still not recovered from the car ride yesterday. I should be back to regular blogging activities in the next couple of days - I shudder to imagine my Google reader....

Here's what I read in July, minus the vacation reads - those will get their own post in a few days.

A Good House by Bonnie Burnard
- 50 year in the life of a small-town Canadian family, this was a quiet, introspective read. Rated 7/10. (My review of A Good House)

Exodus by Julie Bertagna
- YA sci-fi about the polar ice caps melting, and a young girl's quest to save her family. Interesting, but a bit heavy on the message. Rated 7/10. (My review of Exodus)

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
- fascinating novel about an autistic man pressured to "fix" himself. Highly recommended. Rated 9/10. (My review of The Speed of Dark)

Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson
- classic sci-fi romance, about a man who falls in love with a picture and travels back in time to meet the woman of his dreams. Rated 7/10. (My thoughts on Somewhere in Time)

Trap by Un-Tied Artists
- suspense thrilled about an American interpol agent trying to solve a series of arsons in Paris. Rated 7/10. (My review of Trap)

Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs
- fun women's fiction about a tv-cooking-show host trying to salvage her career, and "fix" her loved ones' lives. Very entertaining. Rated 8/10. (My review of Comfort Food)

Still Alice by Lisa Genova - honest, heartbreaking novel about a 50-year-old woman's diagnosis and descent into early onset Alzheimer's. Highly recommended. Rated 9/10. (My review of Still Alice)

4 comments:

Table Talk said...

I've just picked up 'The Speed of Dark' from the library and was wondering whether I'd made a mistake in ordering it - it didn't seem like my usual read. However, if you give it 9 then I'll give it a go.

Molly said...

The Speed of Dark and Still Alice sound like amazing reads and ones that I will definitely add to my TBR list.

Hope you had safe travels back to Iowa :)

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Huh. I've seen Exodus in my local library loads of times. Didn't realise it was a dystopian novel. Love me some dystopic fiction, especially YA. Will check out your review and also possibly the book the next time I'm in!

wisteria said...

I have been reading about Still Alice and deciding whether to read it. 9 out of 10 makes me say, Yes! You had a great July reading month.