Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Month in Movies



"Film is one of the three universal languages. The other two: mathematics and music."

-Frank Capra






Sadly, it's time to say goodbye to this for another year....

Right now, I'm somewhere on the delightful 9-hour car ride home, potentially with some combination of 4-year-old, 2-year-old, and 8-month-old to distract on the way. Good times.

Since I don't know what Kristen has cooked up for Poe this week, I'll catch up with that in a few days, and instead, bring you a little summary of the movies I've digested this month.





The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
- This was beautifully filmed and acted, but something about it just didn't sit right with me. I didn't dislike it, exactly - I just couldn't ever quite bring myself to CARE about these people. I all seemed very detached, to me. The most emotion I felt was in the hospital scenes, with Caroline and her dying mother. But, it was certainly an interesting story.

Somewhere in Time (1980)
- interesting book/movie comparison - one of the few times I think the movie might actually do the book justice.

The Uninvited (2009) - why do I watch movies like this? I just wind up having creepy dreams for the next week.

Taken (2008) - Yikes! This movie had me on the edge of my seat - Liam Neeson was scarily wonderful as the father determined to find his daughter. And Hello! Ruby Demon from Supernatural - nice to see you again.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I guess I saw Taken before we got to Ruby so I didn't realize she was in it! She was the friend?

I like creepy movies...I see almost all of them!

Beth F said...

I'll have to put Taken and Somewhere in Time on my movie list.

And I *still* haven't gotten to the new HP.

DC Portal said...

I just had to comment, since I love my movies and seen 3 out of the 4 you mentioned. I too thought Benjamin Button was missing something, you just can't put your finger on, you know. Taken was a fablous movie, I saw it twice! And The Uninvited was good, a nice twist... it was funny too just because I had to explain it to other people. you hit the nail on all the movies!... oh yeah and GO SUPERNATURAL! :)