Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesday Thingers

And now it's time for Tuesday Thingers, hosted by The Boston Bibliophile.
Today's question: Favorite bookstores. What's your favorite bookstore? Is it an online store or a bricks-and-mortar store? How often do you go book shopping? Is your favorite bookstore (or bookstores) listed as a favorite in LT? Do you attend events at local bookstores? Do you use LT to find events?


What bookstore isn't my favorite? *grin* The one I visit the most is Half-Price Books. It's a great chain, with a pretty eclectic selection of used books and remainders. The staff at the one in my town is fun, too, so it makes for a good shopping experience. And based on the conversations I've had with them, they are serious readers like me, so I feel very comfortable each time I leave with a gigantic sack full of books. Also, they have recently started offering reusable shopping bags to purchase for $0.99, which I love, because then I don't have to figure out what to do with more of those darn plastic things. I also do quite a bit of shopping online, with Amazon and Barnes & Noble being me two favorite locations of choice. I really haven't had much luck with the LT local feature, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it - apparently there aren't enough of us in Des Moines yet to make it worthwhile.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, the bags I love most are the ones I get from my library. They are free to get, and they only ask that you reuse the. I reuse them until they tear (still waiting for that to happen). AND they use them at the library sales to fill for X amount of dollars a bag (it seems to go up by the month. This month was $5 a bagful)

Maybe I'll start wrapping my BM books in them and then stuffing them in the envelopes so I can share my wonderful bags :-D

Anonymous said...

Half price sounds like my kind of place, I wish we had those in Canada.

jlshall said...

I always love going to Half-Price Books when we're visiting family in Texas. Such a wonderful place to browse. And I'm glad to hear about the reusable bags - wish more retail stores would think about doing that.

Kathleen Gilligan said...

Lol I saw "Breaking Dawn" spoilers at the top of your blog and had to quickly jump down to this post :)

I can't believe I've never been to half-price books. I'll have to see if there are any nearby :)

Yvonne said...

Half-Price Books sounds great. That's one store I don't have near me.

The Budgeting Diva said...

I wish we had a Half Price books here.

Alea said...

For years a went to this one Half Price books and just recently I tried another location maybe 5 minutes futher and wow this was so so so fantastic. It's bigger and they have an even better selection, it's two stories! The Clearance section is almost a whole room! I think I'll still go to the other one every once in awhile but this one is amazing, plus about 5 minutes away from it is another cute little used book store.