Sunday, January 10, 2010

My resolutions

I've been reading the many and varied posts about 2010 blogging resolutions - reading deliberately, reading out of comfort zone, tracking what we read, reading more for fun, etc.

I've been quietly envious of all the planning and thought that has gone into those posts, and started setting goals for myself about fancying up my blog, and figuring out how to structure my reading and blogging for the coming year.

And then, last Wednesday, we had (another) snowstorm. Roads were bad, traffic was crazy, and a friend of mine slid into the back of a semi while trying to avoid another accident. He didn't survive.

He left behind a wife, and two beautiful young sons. I saw him at 3:00 pm that day, and by 6:00 he was gone.

To be perfectly honest, this staggered me. I can't imagine being his wife, receiving that phone call. I can't imagine wondering what the last thing I said to my husband was - was it kind? Did he know how much I loved him?

This is just the latest in a series of events over the past year that has served to remind me of how precious and fleeting is the time we have to spend with those we love. We are not guaranteed a tomorrow - all we have is this one, singular moment.

It suddenly made worrying about how to make tabs for my blog seem rather unimportant.

So today, on the anniversary of the day I came into the world, here are my resolutions for 2010:

~ Make sure the people I care most about never doubt how much I love them
~ Don't pass up an opportunity to spend time with the people that make my life blessed
~ Find a reason every day to rejoice
~ Be deliberate about thanking people when they touch my life
~ Remember that every day is a gift



"There's no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." ~ Alexander Woolcott

No comments: