Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fairy Tale Fridays


I'm a little late on this - what else is new lately! - but here's a fun new weekly activity that I'm going to start participating in:

Fairy Tale Fridays, hosted by Tif at Tif Talks Books.

What is this, you ask? Well, here's what Tif says:

In 2009, I read The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. Connolly put a spin on the classic fairy tales to create a gripping and entertaining modern tale of his own. I fell in love with the book, have continued to think about it, and have decided that I want to explore fairy tales in more depth in the coming year. The result: Fairy Tale Fridays!!

Every week, a fairy tale will be highlighted and discussed, from Hans Christian Anderson to The Brothers Grimm to even a multitude of tales from around the world. I may even throw in a fable or two to mix things up as well as opportunities to highlight your favorite tales from more recent authors. I encourage others to read the stories along with me, whether they may be the original or the more family-friendly children versions (with your child!), and then write a little something regarding your thoughts. These thoughts can include: Which version did you read? How does it compare to the children's version? Are they what you remember as a child? Do you have a recommended recent read that was inspired by this tale? It's really up to you to take it and be creative!!


Sounds like fun to me, and I've been hoping for something like this to pop up to replace Poe Fridays, which I enjoyed being a part of all last year. Sometimes my posts might be on Saturdays, but I am planning to try to participate every week.

Do you want to join us? Head over to the Fairy Tale Fridays post to get all the info. Our fairy tale for this week is Hansel and Gretel - time to get reading!

No comments: