Sunday, June 19, 2016

Review: Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World

Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World by Emily P. Freeman
published 2015
256 pages

Synopsis from publisher -

Our obsession with bigger and faster is spinning us out of control. We move through the week breathless and bustling, just trying to keep up while longing to slow down. But real life happens in the small moments, the kind we find on Tuesday, the most ordinary day of the week. Tuesday carries moments we want to hold onto--as well as ones we'd rather leave behind. It hold secrets we can't see in a hurry--secrets not just for our schedules but for our souls. It offers us a simple bench on which to sit, observe, and share our stories.
For those being pulled under by the strong current of expectation, comparison, and hurry, relief is found more in our small moments than in our fast movements. In "Simply Tuesday," Emily P. Freeman helps readers
- stop dreading small beginnings and embrace today's work
- find contentment in the now--even when the now is frustrating or discouraging
- replace competition with compassion
- learn to breathe in a breathless world
Jesus lived small moments well, slow moments fully, and all moments free. He lives with us still, on all our ordinary days, creating and redeeming the world both in us and through us, one small moment at a time. It's time to take back Tuesday, to release our obsession with building a life, and believe in the life Christ is building in us--every day.

My thoughts -


This book was kinda just alright for me. I feel like I have heard MANY of these ideas many places before, so while there were moments of insight, much felt like that weird deja-vu feeling where you don't realize until page 241 that you've read this book already. The author's style is very internal, and while I'm not opposed to that I didn't think the moments where she tried to transition into the charge for her readers ever really worked that well. And her metaphors never really caught my imagination - I understood her analogy of the bench, and of "wearing the world loosely", but they didn't ever truly sink in to my brain the way I expect they were supposed to.

Clearly in the minority on this one, as this is a fairly well-beloved book in the Christian nonfiction genre, but for me it was just okay.


Finished - 6/19/16
Source - my shelves
MPAA rating - G
My rating - 3/5


No comments: