Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sunday Shorts

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson
published 2013
320 pages

Synopsis from publisher -

At twenty-one, Shandi Pierce is juggling finishing college, raising her delightful three-year-old genius son Natty, and keeping the peace between her eternally warring, long-divorced Catholic mother and Jewish father. She’s got enough complications without getting caught in the middle of a stick-up in a gas station mini-mart and falling in love with a great wall of a man named William Ashe, who willingly steps between the armed robber and her son.

Shandi doesn’t know that her blond god Thor has his own complications. When he looked down the barrel of that gun he believed it was destiny: It’s been one year to the day since a tragic act of physics shattered his universe. But William doesn’t define destiny the way other people do. A brilliant geneticist who believes in science and numbers, destiny to him is about choice.

Now, he and Shandi are about to meet their so-called destinies head on, in a funny, charming, and poignant novel about science and miracles, secrets and truths, faith and forgiveness,; about a virgin birth, a sacrifice, and a resurrection; about falling in love, and learning that things aren’t always what they seem—or what we hope they will be. It’s a novel about discovering what we want and ultimately finding what we need.

My thoughts -

I'm struggling with a rating on this one because I LOVE LOVE LOVED this book until the last 20 or so pages, when the horrible circumstances of Natty's conception suddenly became.....not that horrible? Maybe ok? Perhaps not such a bad thing after all? I always enjoy Jackson's work because she is able to create such rich and full characters, and this novel is no different. But the ending. I don't want to give spoilers, and in general I try not to judge books based on my own moral compass, but there are some things that are just not okay, and I am having a hard time with the author's choice on this one. Reader beware - this one might be a rough one.




Taking the Lead: Lessons from a Life in Motion by Derek Hough
published 2014
188 pages

Synopsis:

For eleven seasons, millions of people have tuned in to Dancing with the Stars to watch Derek Hough, the talented, consummate competitor whose skill and commitment have made him the show’s all-time champion. Whether he’s dancing with an Olympic gold medalist, an internationally renowned recording star, or a celebrated actress, Derek instills in each of his celebrity partners a deep passion, respect for hard work, and an irrepressible joie de vie spirit.
Now, for the first time ever, Derek opens up about his life and the lessons he’s learned on and off the dance floor, revealing how he went from bullied boy to ballroom boss. He details how his experiences have taught him to embrace a positive outlook, and shares the insights he’s gained working with celebrity partners, along with never-before-told, behind-the-scenes stories from the show.
My thoughts:
I honestly just picked this up to annoy my friend Nikki, who is not the world's biggest Derek Hough fan, and then somehow found myself reading the whole darn thing. There is nothing bad about the book per se - it's just not particularly good, either. It's just the working definition of bland. I don't fault Hough for the lack of depth - I just don't get the sense that he has fully internalized many of the "life lessons" he tries to impart to his readers. Probably only a good choice for die-hard Derek Hough or Dancing With the Stars fans.


Finished - 8/28/14

Source -South Side library

MPAA rating - G

My rating - 2/5


Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
549 pages
published 4/2014

Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

My thoughts:

Ok, this was a lot of fun. I mean, a convent of assassin nuns? Admit it, you want to know how THAT turns out. What made me the happiest about this novel, though, was that it was so much more than just that initial eye-catching idea. The author explores identity, and the difficulty of finding your place, and loyalty and trust, and (naturally) throws in a little romance, as well. Ismae is a strong and fearless heroine, and she doesn't just follow the path that ANYONE sets out for her - she listens to her heart and her instinct, and then makes her own way. It's a well-written, entertaining first novel in what I hope will be a great series.

Finished - 8/28/14
Source - South Side library
MPAA rating - PG-13 for violence and some adult situations
My rating - 4/5

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I loved Someone Else's Love Story too! I am a DWTS nerd so I'll be reading the Derek Hough book soon. :/

Literary Feline said...

Yes! Those were my thoughts exactly about the ending of Someone Else's Love Story. There was so much I liked about the novel though, like you, and I am glad I read it.

I've never seen an entire season of Dancing With the Stars. I think I've watched an episode here and there over the years, but that is it.

Grave Mercy is one I really want to read. I am glad you liked it!