Sunday, October 13, 2013

R.I.P. Challenge - Kids Edition!

Though I haven't been able to post much about it - whew! did this month get busy! - I have been participating in the annual R.I.P. Challenge, and reading some appropriately themed books for the season.

Without really making a conscious choice, I've also been finding some monster-themed books for my kids - so they've had a mini-R.I.P this month, too! They've been loving it, and we've been reading some really fun books.


 The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone and Michael Smollin
copyright 1971

Synopsis from publisher -

Is there a monster at the end of this book? Lovable Grover believes so and he will try anything to stop readers from turning the pages to find him. This bestselling Sesame Street book of all time is an exciting and original tale that children will read again and again.

My thoughts -

This one is a classic, and it's been a treat to re-visit. My kids actually figured out right away that Grover was the only monster in this book, but it didn't seem to lessen their excitement as we reached the end.


The Book that Eats People by John Perry
copyright 2009

Synopsis from publisher -

Legend has it there exists a book that eats people.

This is that book!

Many readers have been unable to escape its perilous pages.

But this isn't that book.

Yes it is!

This is simply a story about that book.

Really. I mean, how could a book eat people?

So if you're just dying to know the history of this literary monster, all you have to do is turn the page...

Don't do it!

My thoughts -

This book has great illustrations - lots of different "looks" to the pages that keep my kids interested. They've asked me to read this one again and again, and never seem to get tired of The Book that Eats People snapping shut on it's victims.


Frank was a Monster who Wanted to Dance by Keith Graves
copyright 2006

Synopsis from publisher -

Frank was a monster who wanted to dance. So he put on his hat, and his shoes made in France...and opened a jar and put ants in his pants! So begins this monstrously funny, deliciously disgusting, horrifyingly hilarious story of a monster who follows his dream. Keith Graves' wacky illustrations and laugh-out-loud text will tickle the funny bone and leave readers clamoring for an encore.

My thoughts -

This is by far the grossest of the books - in one scene, Frank dances so hard his head pops open and his brains fall out - but it hasn't seemed to bother the kids at all. They just think it's hilarious. They love the rhyming story, and like to get up and do a little dancing right along with Frank.


Monsters Eat Whiny Children by Bruce Eric Kaplan
copyright 2010

Synopsis from publisher -

Dad has warned Henry and Eve: If you whine too much, monsters will eat you. Henry and Eve don’t listen, of course. The only problem is, when the monster comes, he can’t find the right recipe for whiny children; and neither can his monster friends! A whiny child salad doesn’t work because there’s paprika in the dressing. A whiny child cake won’t do because the flour spills all over the floor. And whiny child burgers are out of the question because the grill is too hard to light up. Arguments and hilarity ensue. And just when our persnickety monsters decide on the perfect dish…the worst thing of all happens….

My thoughts -

Anyone recognize the author's name? Producer for Six Feet Under, writer for Seinfeld - his sense of humor works perfectly for me, and I'm happy to laugh along with my kids on this one. Sometimes you have to read the book for Mom - this is definitely one of those cases!


What fun, spooky kids books are YOU enjoying this season??


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

How fun! My son LOVED The Monster at the End of This Book!