Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Dog Days of Summer Read-a-Thon


What is this, you ask??

"Summer. Sun. Sand. Thunderstorms and humidity. And books. Lots and lots of books.

I don’t know about you, but I miss those dog days of summer when I had nothing to do but stay outside, all day long, in my secret reading places, devouring books by the dozens and listening to horrible 80s music. Christopher Pike. John Saul. The Baby Sitter’s Club. Sweet Valley High. Alexandre Dumas and Victor Hugo. What? You didn’t have an odd French romance novel phase in YOUR teens? Huh....

...So, here, I humbly introduce The Dog Days of Summer Readathon. A whole weekend devoted to reading. No challenges. No prizes. No cheerleading (unless you feel so inclined). Just a weekend of reading fun, fluffy, nostalgic books."


Yep, I remember those days - I think I checked out 10 books a week from my local library, and had no trouble reading them all. I'm guessing I won't get through 10 books during this read-a-thon, but it sounds like fun to me. I've got a stack of teen angst classics - stuff I've never read, because I was too busy reading Les Miserables the summer before my 8th grade year. I could use a little fluff these days.

Want to join us? Sign up here, or just go ahead and read with no responsibilities, just like in the good old days.....


No comments: