Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sunday Shorts

The Shape of Desire by Sharon Shinn
published 4/31/12
338 pages

Synopsis from publisher -



For fifteen years, Maria Devane has been desperately, passionately in love with Dante Romano. But Maria knows that Dante can never give everything of himself back—at least not all of the time. Every month, Dante shifts shape, becoming a wild animal. He cant choose when he shifts, the transition is often abrupt, and, as he gets older, the time he spends in human form is gradually decreasing

Maria has kept his secret since the beginning, knowing that their love is worth the danger. But when a string of brutal attacks occurs in local parks while Dante is in animal form, Maria is forced to consider whether the lies shes been telling about her life have turned into lies shes telling herself...

My thoughts -

Sharon Shinn is absolutely my guilty pleasure author. When I say I don't read romance novels, I mean I don't read romance novels UNLESS they are written by Sharon Shinn. I just love the way this woman tells a story, and this new novel did not disappoint. I don't think it's my favorite of her work, but I sure hope she plans for this to be a series, because I can't wait to find out what happens to Maria and Dante next. Recommended for fans of fantasy with a healthy dose of romance tossed in.

Finished - 2/27/13
Source - South side library
MPAA Rating - R for adult situations and violence
My rating - 8/10



Scarlet - The Lunar Chronicles, #2 by Marissa Meyer
published 2/5/13
384 pages

Synopsis from publisher -


Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison — even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

My thoughts -

While I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first in the series, this was certainly a fun and quick read. Scarlet seemed much more "romancy" than it's predecessor, which is really the part of this story that I'm the least interested in. I'm still looking forward to the rest of the series, however, and this was a fun way to spend a weekend.

Finished - 3/3/13
Source - South side library
MPAA rating - PG-13
My rating - 7/10





3 comments:

Aarti said...

I think I read my first Shinn book last year - Summers at Castle Auburn. I admit I didn't love it but I think if I had started reading her novels earlier in my life, I would be a big fan :-)

Literary Feline said...

I will have to look into Shinn's books. If you like her, than her books must be good!

I've heard of Scarlet. At least the title and cover look familiar.

Elizabeth said...

@Aarti - I think that is actually my LEAST favorite of Shinn's work - I hope you get a chance to read something else she's written.

@Wendy - She's so NOT my usual type of read, so you know she must be good!