Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Baby Sam update

****Caution - photo alert. For those who don't wish to see, please consider yourself warned.****


From Sam's latest update:

"Sam had a PIC line put in his little neck today. They had to put him under for that and it took over an hour. It was so hard waiting for him to come back from that. When it was done, and I saw him with the new addition to his lineup of wires I just broke......

The original plan for Samuel's heart condition was to do the first surgery called a Norwood operation. That plan has had to be altered because of Sam's rough and traumatic first few days of life. His lungs have sustained damage from the fluid and blood that filled them and the resucit
ation efforts. The damage will heal, but it will take time. Because of this they all feel that Sam is not strong enough to survive the Norwood operation, so they are changing the plan. He will have an operation called a Hybrid Norwood which will enable the doctors to do what is essential for his heart right now, and not risk him going on the heart and lung bypass machine. It will make Sam's second operation more involved, but we are praying he will be strong enough then to endure it.
It is still a very involved heart operation, and carries with it a lot of risk. The risk of losing Sam is still staggering. All of which we heard today. It took our breath away. They have scheduled his surgery for this Wednesday. We will find out what time tomorrow. PLEASE start praying for our sweet Sam right now!!"






10 comments:

cindysloveofbooks said...

Ah what a sweet and precious little guy. I am keeping Sam in my thoughts and prayers for him and for the family.

bermudaonion said...

It breaks my heart to see such a little one have to endure so much. Sam and his family are in my prayers.

Zibilee said...

Oh, this is so very heartbreaking. I have been praying and hoping that something will turn the corner for this little baby and that God will do a miracle in his life and in the lives of his family. I know it is a very distressing time for them right now, and I have been praying on and off for the past few days for God's hand to reach out and touch them. Please keep posting these updates, I am anxious to hear how he is doing and am hoping to hear some encouraging news in the near future.

Cath said...

I'll be praying hard.

ccqdesigns said...

Prayers are winging their way to you and Sam from Alabama. Dear Lord Please keep Sam safe in your arms.

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

That poor little boy! :( My heart goes out to him and his family.

Kerry said...

I wish all the best to Sam and his family. He's such a beautiful little boy and I hope the surgery goes perfectly.

I'm so not a blogger said...

sending many many many prayers
x

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much to all of you! His surgery started this morning at 7:30 - I will update as I hear from Joy.

Serena said...

I'm sending positive thoughts your way now!