Sunday, April 5, 2009

TSS - Monthly wrap-up


Another month has passed, and it's time to take a look at what I've been reading. I've discovered some new authors, revisited a few past favorites, and enjoyed (almost) every minute.

The Angel of Grozny by Asne Seierstad
- my first book for the Orbis Terrarum challenge, this was an eye-opening look at the war in Chechnya. Finished 3/1/09, rated 8/10. (My review of Angel of Grozny)

Fatal Light by Richard Currey
- the 2009 publication of the Santa Fe Writer's Project, this reprint is a highly personal novel of the horrors of the Vietnam War. Finished 3/4/09, rated 6/10. (My review of Fatal Light)

Twisted Head by Carl Capotorto
- review book for Ijustfinished.com, this is a memoir of growing up in a boisterous Italian family. Finished 3/8/09, rated 6/10. (My review of Twisted Head)

Canvey Island by James Runcie
- review book for LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, this novel was beautifully written, but ultimately disappointing. Finished 3/9/09, rated 6/10. (My review of Canvey Island)

Convergence by Christopher Turner - e-book sent by the author, this was a highly intellectual, interesting novel about the struggle of scientific research. Finished 3/10/09, rated 6.5/10. (My review of Convergence)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- my favorite book of this month, the story of Katniss and Peeta fighting for their lives. Finished 3/12/09, rated 9.5/10. (My review of The Hunger Games)

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - my first attempt at co-hosting By the Chapter with Marcia - reading this with her was a lot of fun! An compelling story with a disappointing ending. Finished 3/15/09, rated 7/10. (My review of People of the Book)

Infinity in the Palm of Her Hand by Giocona Belli
- review book for Bookloons.com, this was an interesting retelling of the Adam & Eve story. Finished 3/19/09, rated 7/10. (My review of Infinity in the Palm of Her Hand)

The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer
- thought-provoking novel about the "Mommy Wars", and the struggles in the lives of modern women. Finished 3/21/09, rated 7/10. (My review of The Ten Year Nap.)

So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger
- Relative Reads selection from my mom, this novel is making me re-think my previous opinions about this author. Finished 3/27/09, rated 9/10. (My review of So Brave, Young, and Handsome)

A Great and Terrible Beauty
and Rebel Angels by Libba Bray - re-reads of the first two book in a trilogy in preparation for the final novel. Finished 3/28/09, rated 8/10.

The Sweet, Far Thing by Libba Bray
- final novel in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, this was an excellent ending to a trilogy I love. Finished 3/29/09, rated 8/10. (My review of The Sweet, Far Thing)

Invincible Louise by Cornelia Meigs
- I honestly don't remember reading this growing up, but I really enjoyed this biography of the author of Little Women. Finished 3/30/09, rated 8/10.

A World I Never Made by James LePore
- exciting thriller, a fun way to finish off my month. Finished 3/31/09, rated 7/10. (My review of A World I Never Made)

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

It looks like you had a good reading month, overall. I love discovering new authors--seems like I've been doing that a lot lately. :-)

Asne Seierstad's book caught my attention. That sounds like something I would like to read. People of the Book is another one I'm eager to try. And I have The Ten Year Nap on my schedule to read in the next few months.

I hope you have a great week! Happy reading!

Amy said...

Fantastic reading month for you! :)

Serena said...

you've been busy! I just saw Richard Currey over the weekend at the local Writer's Center in Bethesda, Md. and I picked up the 20th anniversary edition Fatal Light.

Zibilee said...

I loved your review for Fatal Light. You really encompassed the various emotions that I felt while reading the book. Great Job!