Thursday, November 6, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Today's question is:

What, if any, memorable or special book have you ever gotten as a present? Birthday or otherwise. What made it so notable? The person who gave it? The book itself? The “gift aura?”

The ones that really made an impact on my life were all when I was young. My aunt and uncle used to give my a really cool book every year for my birthday, and one year they gave me a copy of D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. I absolutely devoured this book. I can't tell you the number of times I read it, but it started me down a path of loving mythology that I'm still on today. I took mythology classes in college because of this book. I have numerous books on mythology in my personal library because of this book. Nothing, however, comes close to D'Aulaires' for making the stories come alive. If you know a kid, and are trying to figure out what to buy for Christmas, buy them this book.

For another birthday, another aunt and uncle (I know, my relatives are great!) gave me my first, hardback, beautifully illustrated copy of Anne of Green Gables.
Once again, a love affair was born. When I was in junior high, I actually wanted to BE Anne Shirley. I memorized The Highwayman because Anne did, I read the entire series over and over again - I still love Anne. I re-read the books every couple of years, and while they don't hold quite the same magic as when I was young, I still love all the character so much that each reading is a joy.

I'm not sure my relatives knew what obsessions they would be starting when they gave me these two books, but they were both highly influential in my reading life. That's why books always make good gifts! =)

If you'd like to participate in Booking Through Thursday, head on over and leave a link to your post.

7 comments:

Beth F said...

Books always make the best gifts!

SmilingSally said...

You really do have terrific relatives! I agree, that it's hard to go wrong with a book. Happy Booking Through Thursday. I have a book giveaway going on; check out my sidebar if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to read Anne of Green Gables since long. And I know it's never too late to read classics.

Anonymous said...

All of my favorite, most beloved books came from relatives, too. Especially my mom and dad! And I doubt they knew what they'd started when I opened up all those books on Christmas!

Cathy said...

I've always had a thing about mythology, too. I'll have to look up the D'Aulares!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Speaking of gifts I'm giving away some Hatchett books.

Presents

Petunia said...

My daughter adores the D'Aulaires' mythology books. We have both the Greek and Norse books.

I received the Green Gables series from my husband 5 years ago. I had never read them before. When I was finished reading them I was actually mad that no one had ever told me about them before. I love Anne.