Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Shorts

Hard to believe, but in the midst of the craziness of the past few months, I've actually found some time to read again! It certainly didn't hurt that the third book in one of my favorite trilogies came out in August - of course, I had to re-read the first two in the series, so here are my thoughts....


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
published 2008
374 pages

Synopsis:

Does anyone really need a synopsis at this point? Katniss takes her sister's place in the infamous Hunger Games, and uses her wits and skills to try to keep herself alive.

My thoughts:

Re-reading this book only reinforces my belief that had I discovered Katniss before I read the Twilight series, I would never have made it through the first Bella Swan installment.

I love this book for so many reasons. I love it for giving young women a strong, smart, vulnerable young heroine to take into their hearts. I love it for showing that being smart is often just as powerful and being strong. For maintaining the edge-of-my-seat suspense without descending into sheer, gratuitous violence. For the struggle, and the uncertainty, and the humanity - yeah, I just love this one.

Finished: 9/4/10
Source: my shelves
Rating: 10/10

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
published 2009
391 pages

Synopsis:

Katniss returns home after the games to find herself in big trouble with the Capitol for her intentional act of rebellion.

My thoughts:

While I enjoy this one almost as much as the first, it is definitely a second book. It still has all the things I enjoy about the trilogy, but because much of the book does return us to familiar territory, it doesn't quite pack the same punch as the first. It's interesting reading this series for a second time and paying attention to my initial reactions to the characters - a number of them I remember loathing the first time around have since won places in my heart, and so this second read finds them already endeared to me. It still has a horrible cliffhanger, though - thank goodness I have the third book waiting on my shelf!

Finished 9/5/10
Source: my shelves
Rating: 9/10


These books count toward:


42 Science Fiction Challenge 2010
8/42 complete

No comments: