Saturday, May 2, 2009

My month in movies


"Nobody makes movies bad on purpose. "

- Roland Emmerich


Miracle at St. Anna (2008) - this was quite a story. I like movies about lesser-known events in well-known history, and this movie about the Buffalo Soldiers of World War II certainly fits that bill. I think it might have tried to do a little TOO much, however, and that took away from what could have been an amazing story. Still, it was certainly worth watching.

Ping Pong Playa (2007) - this movie was supposed to be a spoof on racial stereotypes - it kinda worked. It was, however, FANTASTIC to see Scott Lowell and Peter Paige together again!

Au Revois Les Enfants (1987) - French movie for the Orbis Terrarum film mini-challenge, this was an interesting look at two schoolboys - one French, one Jewish - at a Catholic boarding school during WWII.

Lakeview Terrace (2008) - This was a lot more than just a "bad cop terrorizes new neighbors" movie - it also dealt with marriage, and what can add to or take away from that relationship. I thought it was quite good.

Nights in Rodanthe (2008) - There is nothing like a Nicholas Sparks book adaptation when I want a good, sappy love story fix. This one did not disappoint - and Diane Lane is simply beautiful.

Changeling (2008) -
Good movies often make me want to read more - so far, I haven't been able to find any about the Christine Collins case, but I will definitely be on the lookout. Changeling is one of the most disturbing, thought provoking movies I've seen in some time. Christine Collins was truly brave, and Angelina Jolie's portrait of her was breathtaking. I highly recommend this movie!

Journey from the Fall (2006) - Vietnamese selection for the Orbis Terrarum film mini-challenge, this is a quiet but powerful look at the lives of one family torn apart by the war in Vietnam.

2 comments:

Nikola said...

Changeling was a bit too disturbing for me. I was into it in the beginning, but then it just became too passive-aggressive for me to enjoy it. It is a good movie though, and I thought Angelina hasn't been better since 'Girl Interrupted.'

Elizabeth said...

Nikola - it was definitely intense, but the feminist in me is always hooked by stories of women who won't be quiet in the face of injustice. And Angelina was amazing. I actually thought of 'Girl Interrupted' during the scenes in the asylum.