Monday, May 14, 2012

Sunday Shorts

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
published 2009
audiobook

Synopsis from publisher:

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.
My thoughts:
I'm still not completely sold on the narrator that has been chosen to read this series - sometimes there is something in her voice that seems to play too young. But once again, I think the novel definitely holds up to a re-read. Once again I am realizing just how much depth of thought Collins has put into this story, and how many little things there are that make the story as a whole such a rewarding experience. I'm so glad I decided to revisit this series!

Finished: 4/21/12
Source: audible.com
MPAA rating: PG-13
My rating: 9/10


 Comeback Love by Peter Golden
published 4/3/12
ebook

Synopsis from publisher:

Over thirty-five years ago, Gordon Meyers, an aspiring writer with a low number in the draft lottery, packed his belongings and reluctantly drove away, leaving Glenna Rising, the sexy, sharp-witted med student he couldn’t imagine living without.
 
Now, decades later, Gordon is a former globetrotting consultant with a grown son, an ex-wife, and an overwhelming desire to see Glenna again. Stunned when Gordon walks into her Manhattan office, Glenna agrees to accompany him for a drink. As the two head out into the snow-swept city, they become caught up in the passions that drew them together before tearing them apart. And as the evening unfolds, Gordon finally reveals the true reason for his return.

My thoughts:
This was a pleasant, quick read - Gordon and Glenna were interesting characters, and I particularly enjoyed the sections set in their past, as I found the history of that era to be quite interesting. Parts of the plot were somewhat predictable, but not in a way that hindered my enjoyment of the novel. I did at times wonder exactly WHY this couple seemed so in love with each other, but I think that about people I know in real life, so it certainly wasn't a dealbreaker. I thought it was a good book - if it crosses your path, definitely give it a shot.

Finished: 5/6/12
Source: review copy from Netgalley
MPAA rating: R for language and adult situations
My rating: 7/10


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
published 2010
audiobook

Synopsis from publisher:

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12.
My thoughts:
This series is not perfect. Are there places where the narrative could use some tweaking? Absolutely. Are there times when Katniss' whining gets annoying? Yep. Does Peeta seem too perfect? Sure. Does it contain scenes of extreme and sometimes graphic violence? It does.  But I still recommend this series without reservation to anyone I can convince to give it a shot. Because these are the kinds of books I want my kids to be reading. Books that ask hard questions, and don't give passes or spell out answers to make sure kids "get it". Books that show the good AND the bad of human nature, and the consequences of both. Books that entertain, and provoke. Books that engage the imagination and the heart. I love this series, and I'm so glad I spent time with Katniss and Peeta, Gale and Haymitch again.
Finished: 5/9/12
Source: audible.com
MPAA rating: PG-13 for violence and adult situations
My rating: 10/10

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I read The Hunger Games and didn't love it so I haven't been anxious to pick up the other books in the series. You've mad me think maybe I should give them a try.

Zibilee said...

I can't say that I loved the second and third books in the Hunger Games series as much as the first, but they were interesting and intense reads. I am glad that you got the chance to enjoy them.

Aarti said...

I haven't read Mockingjay, though I read the first two books in the series. I think I got annoyed with all the Katniss/Peeta makeout scenes.

Bali Hotels said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.