Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Sunday Salon - October wrapup


Once again Sunday rolls around, and it's been another busy week on the homefront. Somehow being gone for 4 days last week equals about a million loads of laundry, using some kind of weird, laundry math I don't understand. (Math was never my strong suit!) It's time to look back on what I've read over the past month - it was a good one.

The Price of Silence by Camila Trinchieri
- finished 10/1/08, rating 8/10. This was a review book for Curledup.com, and I will be posting my review of it here later on this week. Very entertaining thriller.

In Her Name by Michael Hicks - finished 10/4/08, rating 9/10. One of my favorite books so far this year, this self-published science fiction novel was a review book for Bookloons. I have linked to my review already, but if you missed it you can read it here.

All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear
- finished 10/9/08, rating 6.5/10. Elizabeth Bear is kind of an icon in the sci-fi/fantasy world, so I was excited to review her latest novel for Bookloons. It wasn't as earth-shaking as I had hoped - took forever to get into - but the end made it mostly worthwhile. Bear is not an easy author, and this novel seemed to take me a g e s to read. But I am interested to see where she will take this projected trilogy next. You can check out my review here.

Evacuation Plan by Joe M. O'Connell
- finished 10/11/08, rating 6/10. A novel in short stories about a screenwriter trying to come up with the idea for his next movie by interviewing people associated with a local hospice home. It was nice.

Bad Penny by Sharon Sala
- finished 10/12/08, rating 7/10. The latest in Sala's Cat Dupree series features Cat getting married, and of course lots of mayhem. It's an entertaining series, and this installment lived up to the rest.

The Hidden Man by Anthony Flacco
- finished 10/18/08, rating 8/10. Another excellent novel for review at Curledup.com. I will be posting my review of this one before too long as well.

Til Human Voices Wake Us by Mark Budz
- finished 10/18/08, rating 7/10. A very good sci-fi recommended to me by SOMEONE in the blog world - why don't I ever keep track of these things? You can read my review here.

The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen
- finished 10/19/08, rating 7/10. No real review, per se, since if you've read one Maura Isles/Jane Rizzoli you know the general idea, but another great entry into this always entertaining series.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
- finished 10/28/08, rating 6/10. Oh, how much I wanted to love this book. The prose is absolutely stunning. So what, you ask, was the problem? Magical realism friends. Magical realism is my nemesis, and once again it kicked my tush.

The Storm by Jean Johnson
- finihsed 10/31/08, rating 6/10. For a completely fluffy paranormal romance, this was actually pretty good. It's the 6th book in the Sons of Destiny series, and I'm half tempted to pick up the rest of the series for some easy, easy entertainment.

So that was my month - right now I'm in the middle of The Host, and loving it. Curse you , Stephenie Meyer - why must your books be so addicting??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the laundry. You can leave an empty hamper behind and be gone for 2 days and have 2 weeks worth of laundry when you get home.